28.1.12

Delusions of a Fledgling Filmmaker

Anticipation and hope are filling up the movie theatre.  Filmmakers are milling around wondering how well their projects will stand up to all the others.  Everyone wants an award; best picture, the audience choice, the critic’s choice.  Egos are plump and minds are loaded with delusions of as yet unfulfilled potential.  It must be film festival time.

Actors, ancestors of filmmakers, teachers of filmmakers and celebrities are piling in now.  Even you-know-who is here to introduce classic movies, just like he does on AMC.  The film producer with all the credentials and fame is present and waiting for his Lifetime Achievement Award.   Projectors flicker to life in the screening rooms.  Lights dim and the bright lights of movies and dreams fill the air.

This is a contest.  A barometer of how well people like what you do.  It’s a situation that tests tender egos and lavishes praise on souls born under a helpful star.  Amazingly, I am here with my little film.  I’m hobnobbing with successful producers and filmmakers.  I plan to put my face in front of as many people who will allow me to invade their space.  I’m up and coming and I want them to notice me.

Confidence is everything.  I have a thought; what if my film wins an award.  How will I ever handle all the success?  I could morph from a starving want-to-be into an arrogant newbie who just won his first award at a film festival.  That might get ugly.  I’ll have to work on being cordial and unaffected by my towering ability.

What will I say to people at the Q and A after my film is shown?  This is a good time to flash my personality.  If I’m charming maybe no one will notice how new I really am.  I can say things like . . . 

       “We had fun and tons of good ideas.  That’s what
        makes a good movie.”

or . . . 
     "Making movies is a collaborative art.  You have
        to be a team player."

I’ve been accused of behaving in a self important manner.  So I will smile and answer the questions with grace and humor.  Dazzle them with my personality is what I will do.

What if I find distribution for my movie?  Is it possible that people would really find my work entertaining?  I could be stepping into an amazing lifestyle.  Could this be the beginning of my career? 

It’s always been easy walking into restaurants.  Nobody knows who I am or what I do.  If my film generates a lot of interest I might become well known.  I might have trouble shopping at the food market.  There might be fans out there who want me to autograph their banana in the produce section.  Will the world change that dramatically or will I?

Fellow students at film school will treat me like an established guard in show business?  Oh well, what they do is none of my business, as long as they pay to see my latest movie.  I guess I can help them with advice.  I’m sure the school will invite me to speak when I become a notable movie mogul.

It’s about time, my movie is about to be shown.  I’ll sneak in at the last minute.  If I sit in the back I can see the show and listen for the reaction of the audience in front of me.  I’m so excited!

Last night I dreamed I was arriving at the festival parking lot.  Somehow I fell out of the car.  Wait a minute!  I was dreaming I was a cop chasing a bad guy into a movie house that was playing my movie.  After locking the breaks and sliding to a halt, I opened the car door a little too soon.  I felt the momentum of the car forcing me off the seat and out of the car door.  I was on my butt, sliding on gravel and cement.  Luckily the multitude of fans queued up to see my movie stopped my forward motion when I crashed into them.  It’s amazing what fans will do for you in a dream.

No comments: